The Arctic - Spitsbergen Highlights
Flights not Included
- Depart From
- Tor Only
- Departure Date
29 May 2022 - 04 Jun 2022
Alternative dates available on request
- 7 days
- Arctic Circle
- From €5300pp
See the best of the Arctic Circle in just a week.
Short on time, but have an appetite for an epic adventure? This Arctic voyage crosses the 80th parallel along the northwest coast of Spitsbergen in a week. Take a Zodiac excursion to Ny London, cruise towards the base of the Monaco Glacier, learn about whaling history in Smeerenburg and see snow-capped mountains in Magdalenafjord. You’ll get your fill of all the Arctic classics – mountains and glaciers, cliffs and fjords, plus don’t forget to keep an eye out for the locals. Sightings of polar bears, reindeer, walrus and whales are all possibilities.
Why you'll love this trip
- Get the best of an epic Arctic voyage in just a week, crossing the 80th parallel on a cruise around the northwest of Spitsbergen to spot polar bears, glaciers and walk the arctic tundra.
- Take advantage of 24 hours of daylight to encounter iconic arctic wildlife like polar bears, walrus and reindeer.
- Board Zodiacs to cruise up to towering glaciers and glistening icebergs and make landings on the surprisingly colourful tundra.
- Glide silently on the waters of the arctic in a kayak, surrounded by icebergs and glaciers.
- As you’d expect, temperatures in the Arctic are very cold. A warm parka will be provided along with waterproof boots and unlimited hot drinks, but you should also bring base layers and lots of warm clothing. Please see the Essential Trip Information for further important details about what to bring.
- Weather depending, you will be making regular excursions in a Zodiac boat to explore the local area and look for wildlife. It can get very cold and wet on the Zodiac, so make sure you are dressed appropriately and that you keep your camera safe and dry. Sturdy sea legs are needed as you make wet and dry landings from the boat, and on steep terrain, snow and other uneven surfaces. Some ships also have a lot of stairs.
- The weather plays a pivotal part in this adventure and although there’s an itinerary in place, there are no guarantees that you’ll be able to do everything that is planned for. A level of flexibility and openness to embracing the unexpected are important in expedition travel, especially to such a remote area.
- This trip takes places during the time of year that Spitsbergen enjoys 24-hour daylight. Just one of the benefits of this is that incredible wildlife can be seen at any time of the day – be prepared to be woken at any time so as to not miss out on exciting animal sightings.
- Polar bears are one of the most incredible and appealing animals on the planet, but they are also powerful predators with little fear of humans. Therefore, it’s necessary to be aware of the guidelines surrounding any contact with Polar bears. Follow your leader’s instructions and do not stray from your group.
Day 1: Arrive Oslo
Welcome to Norway! Your arctic voyage begins in Oslo, Norway’s vibrant capital city. You can arrive any time on Day 1 and make your way to your included airport hotel. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and green spaces to keep you busy. You may wish to join your group and leader for dinner to get to know one and other before your Arctic journey begins.
- There are no meals included on this day.
Day 2: Oslo to Longyearbyen
This morning, you will transfer to the airport and board your private charter flight to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen’s largest settlement, where you’ll have some time to explore before boarding the ship. You may want to visit the Svalbard or North Pole museums to learn more about the local history, or perhaps grab a beer at the Svalbard Brewery. After you board the ship and set sail you’ll be able to enjoy great vistas of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this historic town.
Days 3-6: Exploring Spitsbergen
For the next few days you’ll sail around the shores of Spitsbergen, searching for polar bears and other natural wonders. Covering western Spitsbergen, your expedition will afford ample opportunities to view immense glaciers, deep fjords, soaring mountains and unique flora and fauna. Today you’ll sail north into Krossfjord, so have your camera handy, ready to capture some of the best glacier calving in Spitsbergen. Deep in the fjord, the highly active Lilliehöök Glacier awaits. Listen in awe to the growling as big chunks break off into the icy waters below. A Zodiac excursion to nearby Ny London, an abandoned mining settlement, provides an ideal place for a guided walk. Encounters with wildlife, such as the indigenous Svalbard reindeer, are possible here.
- Breakfast (4)
- Lunch (4)
- Dinner (4)
Day 7: Longyearbyen to Oslo
The time to say goodbye has come. This morning, your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we’ll transfer you to the airport for your return group charter flight to Oslo. In Oslo
Your trip ends on arrival at Oslo airport.
Price is per person and includes:
- 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expedition Cruise Ship, Zodiac
Please ask us about adding great value:
- Flights - we will source the best priced flights for your travel dates
- Travel insurance
Subject to availability. Terms & conditions apply.
For more information please call us on 021 427 7094 or 01 696 5135, email email@example.com, request a call back using the red button or submit an enquiry through the form below.