Compiled by the Department Of Foreign Affairs, the TravelWise app brings you user-friendly, trusted and comprehensive travel advice straight to your phone.
Any citizen travelling to a higher risk destination can register with the nearest Embassy, using the App. Registering means that in the event of an unforeseen crisis such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, the Department can proactively contact the citizen, ensure they are safe, update them on developments and provide assistance as necessary.
TravelWise provides security ratings for over 200 countries- a clear way to show you how safe or unsafe they believe a country may be to visit, and to help you to make informed decisions about overseas travel.
There are four colour-coded levels to the security ratings:
- Normal Precautions (Green)
- High Degree of Caution (Yellow)
- Avoid Non-Essential Travel (Amber)
- Do Not Travel (Red)
In addition to security ratings, the app also provides detailed information about visas, health, safety, local laws and customs and other information we think you might find useful.
Topical Articles includes practical information on major events abroad. A “Know before you go” section provides cross-cutting information relevant to multiple travel types and destinations.
This includes passport information, travel insurance information and the consular role of our embassies network.
The “My Trip” checklist is a handy tool to help travellers ensure that they are well prepared for an upcoming journey.
- The TravelWise app is free.
- There is no limit to the number of countries that can be favourited, but users must have a data connection (3G, 4G or wifi) in order to receive a push notification.
- When installed and downloaded, the entire app content is available offline, and in your pocket.
- Initial download 4MB. Secondary background download of global travel advice and guides 11MB.