San Diego: Tequila & Tortillas
- 2.5 hours
- San Diego, USA
- From €52.37
Get a taste of Mexico in San Diego’s most historic neighbourhood! Explore the origins of the birthplace of California as you sample local delicacies such as handmade tortillas and tacos and sip some of the world’s best tequilas.
- Explore San Diego’s most historic neighbourhood
- Gain a unique insight into Mexican culture in the region by exploring the Old Town’s original adobes, shops, and church
- Sample handmade tortillas from authentic tortilla makers and try an authentic street taco
- Choose from a vast selection of tequila varieties at an authentic tequileria that boasts a collection of thoursands in its museum
Local English-speaking guide, one handmade tortilla, one shot of tequila (or a margarita, beer, or soda of your choice), chips and salsa and one street taco.
Additional food or drink, personal shopping, tips and gratuities for your guide
Duration: 2.5 hours
2660 Calhoun Street. Meet at the flagpole in front of the Cosmopolitan Hotel in the town square.
Starting time: 1.00 PM
El Agave Restaurant, 2304 San Diego Ave, San Diego, CA 92110
- Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, one handmade tortilla, one shot of tequila (or a margarita, beer, or soda of your choice), chips and salsa and one street taco.
- Exclusions: Additional food or drink, personal shopping, tips and gratuities for your guide
- Dress standard: Please wear comfortable footwear for uneven sidewalks and walkways.
- Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We'll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Child Policy: Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
As the birthplace of California, Old Town San Diego has seen its fair share of history. Today, it’s also widely regarded for its restaurants, margaritas and souvenir shops. And we’ll get to sample all four things on this cultural foodie tour!
We’ll start our exploration in the town centre and then wander through an open-air mercado loaded with authentic imported crafts and artwork. Best of all, your guide will be able to help you differentiate the authentic from the imitation – no bad souvenirs on this tour! You’ll also be treated to handmade tortillas, a world-famous dish that dates back to before Columbus landed in North America.
After your short shopping detour, you’ll take in more history and view original adobe buildings, including one noted as the finest home in Mexican California. Not only will you gain insight into how people lived back then, but you’ll also hear how a work of fiction from 1884 saved the house from destruction, and cemented the Old Town’s solid reputation as a tourist destination.
We’ll continue the tour outside of the State Park to view one of the oldest brick buildings in Southern California, best known for the ghosts who haunt it, followed by a stroll through a landmark cemetery with graves dating back to the 1850s.
By now you might be thirsty, so we will take a brief walk to a local tequileria boasting a collection of thousands of bottles. Here you will learn about the many different types of tequilas and be treated to a taste of one of the best tequilas in the world. (This sample is included as part of your tour price, but you may instead choose a margarita, beer or another beverage of your choice).
We’ll bid adios here, but feel free to linger over another drink, or dig into some great Mexican food. Or, if you want to keep moving, you can continue shopping and exploring this great San Diego neighborhood.